Rhubarb Round Two


I swear this isn't the same demo as the one I did on Monday. It's different! There are apples in it!

I was planning on whipping some cream this time and folding the fruit/rhubarb into it, but I was tremendously non-specific when planning the demo with the market managers and I asked if there is any milk or cream at Friday's market. Yes, there definitely is!
There is milk. And half and half. Really lovely milk and half and half from Milk Thistle. But neither of those are cream, so I think I should look into rephrasing my market questions in the future.

So I just made the first half of the recipe, which was super-similar to Monday's demo. It was a little tastier, in my opinion. The apples were a nice touch (if I do say so....). And the maple sugar from Deep Mountain Maple was quite excellent.

Rhubarb Apple Fool

1 lb rhubarb (about 4 stalks)
½ cup sugar
½ lb apple (one medium sized apple)
¼ t nutmeg, freshly grated
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners sugar

1. Cut rhubarb and apple into a fine dice and combine in one bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and set aside for five to ten minutes until liquid accumulates at the bottom of the bowl.

2. Transfer apples, rhubarb and juices to a saucepan and cook over medium heat until apples break down and rhubarb softens, about 10 minutes.

3. Remove from heat and grate nutmeg over the mixture and allow to cool.

4. Add confectioners sugar to chilled heavy cream and whip until it forms stiff peaks.

5. Once rhubarb applesauce is entirely cool, fold sauce into whipped cream. Chill for 20 minutes and serve. Serves six.



A note on fool: a fool is a traditional British dessert usually made of fruit puree and whipped cream. A fool is sometimes stiffened with gelatin before chilling, and may be made with a blended and strained puree for a stiffer more uniform dessert. The recipe above is a more rustic, chunkier fool, which I think is a great and simple springtime dessert.

No comments: